Can I File an Ivokana Lawsuit for Ketoacidosis or Kidney Failure?
Philadelphia Invokana Lawsuit Attorneys Explain Diabetes Drug Dangers
Invokana is a diabetes medication manufactured by pharmaceutical company Janssen Pharmaceutical Inc, a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson. It is a sodium-glucose co-transporter-2 (SGLT2) inhibitor that specifically treats low blood sugar levels due to Type 2 diabetes. However, Invokana (generic name: canagiflozin) and similar drugs may cause dangerous or even fatal health conditions, including ketoacidosis and kidney failure. In 2016, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a warning about these dangerous side effects. As a result, SGLT2 inhibitors must include a warning on their labels. Therefore, if you or a loved one has suffered Invokana side effects, then you may be able to collect compensation through a product liability claim.
The attorneys at Eisenberg, Rothweiler, Winkler, Eisenberg & Jeck, P.C. are currently investigating Invokana lawsuits and claims for similar drugs. We represent individuals who took these drugs and suffered from foot or leg amputation or kidney failure. If you took an SGLT2 inhibitor such as Invokamet, Invokamet XR or Invokana, and experienced serious medical complications, then contact our law firm today. You may be entitled to monetary damages for your pain and suffering. Our Invokana lawsuit attorneys have experience holding pharmaceutical manufacturers accountable for marketing and selling dangerous drugs; we can use that experience to represent you in an Invokana claim.
What Are Possible Invokana Side Effects?
Invokana is a market name for the generic drug canagliflozin. As a sodium-glucose cotransporter-2 inhibitor, the medication should inhibit the function of the kidneys for the purpose of reducing the glucose levels in the blood of the patient. Companies like Janssen Pharmaceutical Inc. began marketing Invokana and other brands of canagliflozin to patients with Type 2 diabetes in 2013. Since then, many people taking the medication have reported serious Invokana side effects including:
- Urinary tract infections. Canagliflozin induces the body to flush out excess sugar in the bloodstream through urination. However, this can increase the risk of UTIs.
- Bone fractures. Prolonged use of Invokana may weaken the bones, increasing the risk of fracture.
- Kidney failure. Invokana may cause serious kidney injuries which may result in total kidney failure. Symptoms of acute kidney failure include decreased urine and/or unusual swelling in the legs or feet. Without prompt treatment, this may be fatal.
- Cardiovascular events, such as heart attack or stroke. Even in early studies, before Invokana gained FDA approval, there were indications that this drug may increase the danger of heart attack and stroke.
- Ketoacidosis. Diabetic ketoacidosis, a life-threatening condition, results when there is insufficient glucose in the bloodstream, causing a potentially fatal buildup of acid in the blood. Early warning signs of ketoacidosis include fatigue, fruity odor on breath, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, disorientation and difficulty breathing.
- Increased risk of foot and leg amputation. The FDA issued a warning in May of 2016 that taking Invokana doubles the risk of foot and leg amputation. This warning stated that early signs of conditions requiring amputation include pain, ulcers, sores and/or infections in the legs and feet
Some studies also suggest that Invokana and related drugs may increase the risk of breast cancer, bladder cancer and pancreatitis.
Who Is Liable for Invokana Drug Defects?
The makers of Invokana, Janssen Pharmaceutical, Inc., a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson, claim that the medication is safe for all users and has minimal adverse side effects. However, contrary to these claims, numerous individuals who took Invokana developed serious health complications. The fact that the FDA issued two warnings in 2016 about the dangerous side effects supports the claim that Invokana is a dangerously defective drug.
Patients who have experienced the harmful side effects of Invokana are coming forward and filing product liability claims against Janssen Pharmaceutical Inc. Most allege that the pharmaceutical manufacturer knew or should have known about the health risks associated with these drugs. However, the company also failed to warn consumers of the dangers.
If you or a loved one suffered adverse Invokana side effects, then you may have grounds for a claim. The Invokana lawsuit attorneys at our law firm may be able to help you hold manufacturers accountable for these drug defects.
Contact Our Invokana Lawsuit Attorneys for a Free Consultation
If you took the diabetes medication Invokana, Invokamet XR or Invokamet, and suffered dangerous side effects, then you may be entitled to compensation. Our team of Invokana lawsuit attorneys is currently reviewing claims for these defective drugs. We have experience with these types of claims and can advise you of your legal options in a free consultation.
At Eisenberg, Rothweiler, Winkler, Eisenberg & Jeck, P.C., we are advocates for justice. If you have grounds for a claim, then we can fight for your right to compensation. Our Invokana lawsuit attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. This means you only pay attorney fees if we obtain a settlement or judgment in your favor. Contact us today at (877) 638-0114 or fill out an online case review form.