Injured by a Dangerous Drug or Defective Medical Device?
If a defective drug or medical device harmed you or a loved one, then a defective drug attorney from our law firm may be able to help you seek compensation from the manufacturer. The pharmaceutical litigation lawyers at Eisenberg, Rothweiler, Winkler, Eisenberg & Jeck P.C., have helped clients recover multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements from individual lawsuits and multidistrict litigations (MDL). When the negligent and reckless actions of pharmaceutical companies harm innocent people, our product liability attorneys will stop at nothing to hold them accountable.
Can I File a Lawsuit for Defective Drugs or Medical Devices?
Many people are daunted by the prospect of bringing drug lawsuits against powerful pharmaceutical companies. However, the courtroom can be a great equalizer. Even a single injury victim can bring a lawsuit against the most powerful drug company for reasons that include:
- Improper marketing. Patients can suffer permanent injuries or death when drug companies improperly market their products. For example, Johnson & Johnson paid $2.2 billion in criminal and civil fines for improperly marketing Risperdal. Normally prescribed for psychiatric disorders, Johnson & Johnson marketed this antipsychotic drug to children, the elderly and people with developmental disabilities for off-label uses. However, these groups may suffer permanent side effects by taking Risperdal.
- Hidden side effects. Drug companies may omit dangerous side effects from the label. Plaintiffs have filed lawsuits against Johnson & Johnson and Bayer over allegations these companies concealed dangerous side effects of the blood thinner Xarelto.
- Medical device and drug defects. Medical devices and drugs may contain design or manufacturing defects that can harm patients. In many cases, these defects result when companies fail to adequately test and research their products before putting them on the market.
- Off-label prescribing. This occurs when a physician prescribes medication for reasons not approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Patients may suffer harmful side effects while taking prescription drugs for off-label uses. Depending on the circumstances, the doctor and/or the pharmaceutical company may be responsible for these injuries.
What Types of Injuries Are Caused by Defective Drugs?
Depending on the drug and other circumstances, patients may suffer permanent injuries from defective drugs or off-label prescriptions. Drug lawsuits have been filed over the following products, although this is simply a representative list:
- Talcum powder. While not a prescription drug, studies indicate that talcum powder may cause ovarian cancer.
How Can Defective Medical Devices Cause Injuries?
Medical devices may contain defects that can permanently injure or kill patients. Victims can also suffer additional harm while undergoing corrective surgeries to remove these devices. Defective medical device lawsuits may concern products such as:
- IVC filters. Doctors implant these tiny “spider-like” devices into the inferior vena cava to block blood clots from entering vital organs. Lawsuits against C.R. Bard and Cook Medical allege that IVC filters contain dangerous defects, causing breakage. When this happens, pieces of the filters may pierce vital organs, such as the heart, lungs, liver, kidneys or the inferior vena cava. IVC filters may also migrate to other parts of the body and cause injuries.
- Essure. This permanent birth control device uses metal coil implants that block the fallopian tubes. Women implanted with Essure have filed lawsuits after developing severe allergic reactions or constant pelvic pain. FDA adverse event reports suggest some women suffered perforated organs from the device.
- Transvaginal mesh. Women implanted with transvaginal mesh devices have reported constant pain, sexual dysfunction and organ prolapse. In addition, women may also suffer complications when they undergo corrective surgeries to remove transvaginal meshes.
Injured by Medical Products? Speak with a Defective Drug Attorney to Learn About Legal Options
If you or a loved one suffered harm due to a defective drug or medical device, the pharmaceutical litigation lawyers at Eisenberg, Rothweiler, Winkler, Eisenberg & Jeck P.C., want to help. Our attorneys are experienced courtroom advocates who know how to present drug liability cases. We can help you obtain compensation for medical bills, wage loss, pain and suffering and other losses. Our law firm handles a wide range of pharmaceutical liability lawsuits for clients throughout Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
We offer free initial consultations and handle cases on a contingency fee basis; therefore, you will not have to pay us unless we get results. For more information on how we can help, call (866) 569-3400 or fill out our online case review form.