$4 Million Recovery for Paralyzed Man due to Failure to Diagnose and Treat Spinal Infection
A 55-year-old city worker underwent surgery to remove a tumor on his esophagus and received pain medication through an epidural catheter inserted in his back after surgery. A few days later, when the nurse removed the catheter, she notified the surgeon of pus at the site and the doctor ordered an antibiotic to fight infection. Over the following days, the patient developed fever, elevated white blood cell count and redness at the site of the epidural—common signs of infection. Finally, after four days, the doctor scheduled the patient for an MRI. Tragically, due to the untreated MRSA infection, the patient had already become paralyzed from his chest down before the MRI could be performed. After one day of trial, Eisenberg, Rothweiler, Winkler, Eisenberg & Jeck, P.C., reached a settlement by arguing that the negligence of the surgeon and hospital caused a tragedy, which clearly should have been avoided.